Monday, December 28, 2009

More project details

Thanks for all the quick response and questions. It is great to connect with others working on similar projects. A few folks had some project and spec questions; if others are interested to know, here are some answers.

- I got the front and rear suspension for free from a very very rusted XJ 6 Jag sedan.
- I used the rusty stuff for mock-up purposes only. Fortunately, I came across an XJS 12 that had the sad circumstance of having a tree fall on it during a wind storm. The owners had always done their maintenance and I ended up with a very well maintained front and rear suspension for $700.
- The rear assembly is a 3.31 PowerLoc. Overhauling, ball joints, bushings etc... cost another $300. So, for $1000 I've got a beautiful front and rear suspension.
- Regarding the paint, I spent my life in the corporate aircraft business and besides filling my pockets with aircraft nuts and bolts and Dzus fastners I acquired a couple of gallons of Imron polyurethane paint. So that is what I'm going to use for the frame and the body.
- I do my own fabricating, welding, painting, and everything but upholstery.
- For wheels and tires I have an old set of Halibrants.
- The rest of the body sheet metal is very very solid. So once I get the frame finished, the body should go much faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment